I love my garden, but sometimes the harvest can be a bit overwhelming. That’s especially true when it comes to my jalapenos. Every year, it seems like I end up picking far more than I can make into salsa, mainly because of the lack of ripe tomatoes this early in the season. I try to come up with new ways to use them each year, but this recipe for stuffed jalapenos is still my favorite. My stepdaughter’s former stepfather makes something similar using the grill, but I prefer to cook these in the oven. With just four ingredients and about 30 minutes to prep and cook, you can make these delicious stuffed jalapeno peppers, too!
Sweet & Spicy Stuffed Jalapeno PeppersIngredients 8 – 12 jalapeno peppers, washed, cored and sliced into halves 1 package cream cheese (8 oz) 4-6 slices of bacon, uncooked 1/4 cup brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place jalapeno halves onto a cookie sheet lined with aluminum foil.
- Take teaspoon-sized portions of cream cheese and spread into each of the jalapeno halves, forming it as you go. Yes, you have to get your fingers mess…otherwise the result won’t be that tasty!
- Cut each slice of bacon into 4 equal sized pieces.
- Wrap one piece of bacon around each jalapeno and secure with a toothpick.
- Roll bacon-wrapped jalapeno in brown sugar, ensuring that it is well coated prior to returning it to the cookie sheet.
- Place in oven on center rack and allow to cook for 10 – 12 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool no more than 2 minutes before removing from cookie sheet. Note: The brown sugar caramelizes and will cause the stuffed jalapenos to stick to the sheet if you wait too long to remove them from the tray. If appearance is an issue, transfer to a plate or serving tray quickly.